Sunday, February 21, 2010

We've added on to our home




What's a man without a project? That's what I had to keep telling myself whenever Jeremy would spend his Saturdays working on the treehouse. After a year of working, the darned thing is getting closer to being finished. It's been kid usable since last summer, but there is always something to do, like recently, the steps to replace the ladder, or putting in the slide. We still have more projects to go like painting it and finishing some walls, but the kids have enjoyed it. They've enjoyed playing in it and they've loved the process of the completion as they have "helped" build, and hung around the tree all day with their dad, It's probably been one step forward and two back when they're up there with him, but that's part of the fun and experience, right?

On Friday night, I went to my weekly outing to play volleyball. I came home to an empty house. Every light was on, the mess was still there, but no fam. Then I remembered Jeremy had mentioned sleeping in the treehouse. Sure enough, I climbed the 15 foot ladder up the side to the window and there was my whole entire fam bundled up in their sleeping bags, watching Bedtime Stories. Jeremy had rigged our portable dvd player up there and the kids were enjoyng the beautiful evening.



I debated if I wanted to join the fun or just go in the house and relax in silence. No brainer, right? Apparently not, 'cause I found myself up there with the gang. I love being in the chilly night air with warm covers and my husband to cuddle up to. What a fun night. The kids slept like rocks and me, not so much. But it was worth every minute of being there as memories were made. The kids all bragged a bit the next day to the neighbors (who am I kidding, I was right there boasting just as much as them). I mean how cool is that to get to sleep in your treehouse?!

I love that Jeremy is real family man. He works hard during the week but he's always home and there for his family at night (as church callings allow) and on the weekend. Usually it means he goes without sleep to get everything done, but he never complains or murmurs. He's always thinking of something to do with the kids, whether they all sleep on the tramp, or set up a tent and camp and roast marshmallows, or building a doghouse, he's always got something for them. I am such a lucky woman and my kids are so lucky to have a dad that cares so well for all of us.

Now the question is, when the treehouse is finally finished, what will be the next big project?

3 comments:

  1. The castle is really coming along. We are very impressed with the progress since we left. Tell Jeremy we want to see a completed tree house when we come in March!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW GREAT IS THAT Karri...and so true...what's a man without a project!! Loved this post and love your blog...it is so YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like fun. I would have slept inside but you are a better woman for staying with the children. ILY

    ReplyDelete