Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My Dear Pains in the Neck


I think it's amazing how the things that drive us crazy the most are the things that become the most dear to us (no, I'm not talking about my kids this time).

So about a year and a half ago we were in St. Johns and Jeremy saw someone training a Queensland Heeler in the park. He immediately went over to watch since that's his favorite dog. It turned out to be his cousin, and wouldn't you know it, he had a new litter of puppies and asked if he wanted one. So the next day there we were at Spence's house picking out our dog, I was quite certain that we wouldn't get a dog, since I don't particularly like animals, but who can resist a darling puppy (well except Hannah who was terrified). Anyway about a month later we picked up our new family pet, Bodgie. I had no idea how much work a new puppy was, always eating and pooping everywhere (I should have known since I've had babies).

But we all loved Bodgie and enjoyed him, often thinking maybe he needs another dog to keep him company during the day, and wouldn't you know it (again) some strange lady appeared at our house offering us her purebred German wirehaired pointer. We told her we'd keep her for a trial run, which turned out to be permanent (sort of). Well the new dog had some super creepy eyes and was named Velvet. It should have been named Brillo, but alas we decided on changing it to Bella, a good compromise.

Bella and Bodgie became best friends with a pretty rough relationship we often commented on how abusive he was to her, then the day came that she came into heat and we thought for sure since they were both still puppies, there was NO WAY Bodgie could get her prego, but the stud did.

Not long after conception, the dogs got out on McKellips and got hit by a car. I can still hear the sound in my head sometimes. It was so frightening. There was Jake wailing, "I miss Bodgie and Bella" (assuming they were going to die) so out of control, and then just like a switch, "Mom can I go to Brenton's?" We rushed the dogs to the vet ER thinking they both were going to get a shot to put them down, but we left with two battling dogs and a lot poorer.

Then a few months later Bella had their children, nine-tuplets. They were adorable, even with the trauma of the accident and the pain meds they were given. The pups turned out so cute.

But as with all puppies, there comes the day when they have to go to their new homes. Wailing and crying again as one by one they were picked up. We had to let the kids write about each dog in their journals and say special prayers to calm them down. But kids are resilient and they soon got over it.

That was about a year ago and since then the dogs have been a pain in the neck, eating everything, digging up the yard, chewing our cable lines (3 times), and basically being annoying. The kids never wanted to play with them cause they were such pests.

Well this week after all we have gone through, the you-know-what hit the ceiling again. Bodgie bit a pedestrian. He has been quarantined and we are debating putting him down or giving him to someone out in the country where he can work and run and play. Then Bella's mom who will probably call her Velvet again, came by to see her. When I told her about Bodgie and that we wouldn't have him much longer and our wondering if we should get rid of Bella too, she decided to take back Bella. We had to give her up last night.

So now after the wildest pet owning year and a half, we are about to be dog free. The kids are hysterical. The girls cried themselves to sleep last night, and then there was Jake saying, "I'm not even close to crying". Yeah, the same Jake that was wailing when they got hit. I find myself getting choked up now and then. They sure have driven me batty, but I guess I have grown to love them after all we've been through with them.

We'll miss them both so much.

2 comments:

  1. My kids are begging me for a dog. I think that I will just keep you in mind and continue to tell them we can't because I am allergic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karrie. Sorry about your dogs, that is quite the story. We had a great dane puppy for a total of three days and gave it back and even that was tough.

    ReplyDelete