Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Novelty

Just as I was beginning to dread summer and the step-into-an-oven heat, the weather changed. Just like that, we went from near 100 degree heat, to a cool 79 degrees yesterday. Boy I tell you what, the whole neighborhood came out to celebrate the coolness.
We got a few sprinkles and a lot of wind, but who really cares? It was so nice outside. I believe everyone under the age on 16 was outside, there were even a lot of adults chillin in the coolness, myself included. Jeremy came home, I followed him to our room and then bam! It hit. Like only AZ rain can do, it was coming down in buckets just like that. I went outside and every single kid in the 'hood was doing a dance in the cul-de-sac. No joke. They were celebrating, cheering, and singing. It was like they had never seen rain before. I think they liked the 20 fabulous minutes of rain even better than Disneyland. The kids have rainboots and umbrellas that normally collect dust and daddy-longlegs. It was a real treat to get to bust them out, and not as church shoes (as Hannah has worn before).
If there is one thing I have learned living in AZ, that is to never complain about the rain, even if it hits at the most inconvenient times, as it often does (camping, after washing the car...). We pray for it all the time, so I'm grateful for it anytime it comes. It was funny living in New Orleans. When I first moved there, I spent months cheering the rain and expressing my gratitude in prayer for it, until I realized that there it was kind of a nuisance. Rain everyday for months can get on ones nerves. One weekend in NO, I think we got like a foot of rain (more than an entire year in AZ), everything was flooded, though nothing like Katrina. It was awful and I always wondered why we couldn't invent a funnel to direct all that water to the west where it is always dry.
But until that invention happens, I'm gonna do a jig right along with my kids with each and every sprinkle! (sorry, no pics of me jiggin')
(Abby Bronson, Brenton, Geddes, and Rylee a-celebratin')

(Abby- who wouldn't be all smiles in the AZ rain?)

Geddes and Hannah - what a pose. I gotta keep an eye on her)

1 comment:

  1. What's crazy is we got nothing on the south side, ok a few very few sprinkles just enough to make the dirt stick to my car :)

    ReplyDelete