Friday, April 30, 2010

The 2010 Texas Rangers


Jake's baseball season has been very different from those of years past. I'm his coach. It used to be that I'd go to the games and hang out with all the moms and catch up on all the gossip, but now, I'm the one yelling at the boys:

Quit picking dandelions!

Quit digging holes at short stop!

Watch our game!

Nice hustle - way to run all the way through first base!

Where's the play?

Squish the bug!

Tag up!

.....

And so on and so on.


But it has been so much fun. I wonder if the boys have learned a single thing, sometimes I think our fundamentals are regressing, but they keep showing up, so I guess that's a good sign.


I love coaching Jake. I worried when I signed up to coach if he would ever listen to me. He has a tendency to think everyone is smarter than me. He's for sure done the most push-ups for arguing with his coach, but he is always learning and he has done pretty well over all listening to me.

He definitely has a high sports IQ. It has always come naturally to him. Even in New York at age 2o months he would sit and watch an entire Yankee game with me. He gets tagging up, he gets how to run bases. He always knows where the plays are and he definitely knows how many games we've won or lost even though there is no score keeping in coach-pitch. In fact, miraculously he has won every single game he has ever played during 3 years of coach-pitch. Even when the other team has more players and makes more outs than us (everyone bats every inning in coach-pitch).

I love my only boy and over the years I've loved watching his intensity and his natural knowledge and abilities in sports and anything active. It is what has always come natural to me and I love seeing him love sports as much as I do.

Thanks, Jake, for making the 2010 Coach-Pitch season great and for being such a great player and son to coach.

1 comment:

  1. You should see how crazy these people in Albuquerque are about baseball. Coach-pitch games are 6 innings and last over 2 hours. They play twice a week and have practice at least once a week. With three boys playing baseball this year, it is killing me. I am not sure if we are going to survive the season that lasts until the middle of JUNE!!

    ReplyDelete