Thursday, December 9, 2010

Four. No, Five... Who's on first? Who.

(Abby on a normal night doing her homework - all business)

(This is Abby this week - a hysterical, giggling mess)

Every night Abby has reading homework, and a lot of it sometimes. Last week I made our own Abbot and Costello bit. She had a list of words to read and number four was the word FOUR. So when she'd get to it she'd say "four" and I'd say, "yes, I need you to read number 4". Then she'd say "four" and I'd pretend to be annoyed and say again, "yes, do number 4" Then she'd squeal and giggle. This would go on for a few minutes until I had no more witty ways to tease her, so we'd go on to number 5 and so on...

Well this week, she once again had the word four, but it was on the review column of words and this week it was number 5. She was devastated that we'd have no way to joke around with it.

(here's part of her list)
1. way
2. find
3. follow
4. found
5. four
6. full

But her ever so clever mom came through. Here's how it would go down...

Let's read your words, Abby. Start with number 1.
way
number 2
find
number 3
follow
number 4
found
number 5
four
OK, you can do number four again
found
Now do number 5
four
Abby we already did number 4 can you read number 5?
four
No, we're not doing 4 we're doing 5. Please read it.
four
Abby, I'm getting kinda tired of this, Stop arguing with me and do number 5
four
OK we'll go back to number 5 later do number 6...
full...
Ok are you ready to try number 5 again?
four
Forget about it, I quit. Go have your dad help you (At which point, Jeremy takes over the game for the next 10 minutes, until I tell them she really does need to get her homework finished and she goes on, but not before she is hysterical and can hardly breathe from laughing so hard. It will really be a sad week next week when the number four is no longer on her list.
But it beats last year when I'd arrange her sight words to be read in this order - I- like- to- go- do- do... She never really appreciated that one. I've come a long way. And Abigail really does have a great sense of humor. I love that girl!

2 comments:

  1. Karrie you are so funny. I read it to Ryan and he even laughed. I wish my kids had the number 4 as a spelling word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing with their list of words, trying to make sentences or such no skits, actually I don't even go over Wyatt's words

    ReplyDelete