Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Doggone it! She's Still Growing

We have a recurring conversation in our house. Well, we have many, but one in particular goes like this:

"Mom, I don't have any pants (shoes, cleats, swimming suits...)that fit me"

I reply, as always, with,

"It's your own fault. I've told you a million times that you are not allowed to grow up. If you'd just listen to me and stay young, then we wouldn't be having this problem now would we."

Then the kids always roll their eyes at me and pretend to be annoyed, but I swear I see a hint of a smile on their cute little faces. Then we go out shopping and get them shoes that are too big, and then presto, they've either worn them out before they actually fit, or they hit a growth spurt and they no longer fit after a few months.
I love my kids, each stage has been so fun, and I wish they wouldn't grow, but I guess they have to.

Well after all the preaching at my kids about growing, I finally gave in. Abby has had a loose tooth for EVER! It has been so wiggly for months now, but she wouldn't pull it or let us pull it.

So last night with FHE looming and no plans whatsoever for family time, I had a brilliant idea. Let's pull Abby's first tooth - as a family.



She got the floss. I worked on it a bit, but I'm a bit wimpy and turned the dirty work over to Jeremy. He went to it sawing at it with floss until it finally fell out.

I was all prepared for a meltdown with the blood and all, but Abby was tough as nails and so, so, so excited.

She rinsed out her mouth and was just beaming. A few pics later and she had it safely in a ziplock bag and under her pillow.

Now, I don't know when the tooth fairy typically hits most houses, but I'm pretty sure Abby's came this morning right before I woke her up for school. She had $2.00 under her pillow. Whew, A bullet dodged! I can't imagine what would have happened if the tooth fairy forgot after forgetting about Jake's tooth just a few months ago. Maybe, I should re-register our home with the tooth registry, so as not to have anymore mishaps or near mishaps.

So there it is. I've gotten on my kids about growing up and here I am forcing Abby to get older. I should have just let her leave it in, 'cause now she's just going to keep losing them, growing permanent teeth (and hopefully not going to the orthodontist) and getting older.

p.s. I owe Hannah $2.00.

3 comments:

  1. I should register with the tooth fairy too. She often comes to our house after the tooth has been under the pillow for more than one night. She missed Brad just last night as a matter of fact. I told him that it is because he doesn't really believe, but I think she will have to come tonight anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah should just chase you around screeming- I want my 2 dollars. (I'm a dork I know)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i love it! you are such an amazing mom, i just admire you. i'm so glad we moved here and became friends, because friends like you are classic. i laughed out loud at the "p.s" part. i love how kids always have cash and we don't. how the heck did that happen?

    ReplyDelete