-We enjoyed swimming at the town pool which is amazingly relaxed. Kids can actually have fun at the pool without the fear of being yelled at by the lifeguards (unlike the uptight City of Mesa pools).
-The kids played badminton with the McBride kids. Hannah was sooooo happy to have Brakelle to play with all weekend.
-The kids disappeared in the jungle for hours at a time and I was never worried even a bit.
-We ate at El Camino where Jeremy found his new favorite food (besides steak) - stuffed sopapillas - yum!
-We enjoyed church where we got to sing my favorite patriotic hymn, "America the Beautiful". The line that says, "Oh beautiful for patriot dream In liberating strife, who more than self their country loved and mercy more than life..." always gets me. Am I the only one that gets choked up during that hymn?
On to the big day....
-We didn't hear the cannons as they usually go off. We might have been sleeping quite soundly and didn't hear them, but I don't think they went off like usual. Kind of a bummer.
-Jeremy and I enjoyed a delicious pancake breakfast at the park.
-We brought the kids back down to the park for the patriotic program, BBQ, snowcones and races.
-We got to visit with a lot of Jeremy's old friends and people we seldom see.
-And then the races began. Let me just say, I'm proud of my family for competing and participating. I never, ever race.
Annie raced first, scored second place and a fifty cent piece.
Hannah raced next and didn't hear the "go" so had to play catch up. She ran hard and fast. If I had been there to nudge her on the word "go", she would have won for sure. I'm happy she was a good sport.
Abby raced and placed....Are you ready for it?.... First! Go peanut! She got a gold dollar.
Jake raced and placed second. It is debatable if he took first or not. we have it on video and it's now under review, but he got a half dollar too.
Jeremy competed in what I like to call his "annual hamstring pull" (I just made that up). He jumped in with the wrong crowd (the 20-30 year olds) but still placed third and got a quarter. Had he competed with the old men, he'd have won hands down.
Jake stretching pre-race. Maybe Jeremy could take a note from him. Jake played with Trevor and Easton Lambson the WHOLE day.
Hannah protecting Annie from all the scary people - I think she had nerves about racing.
The kids -so darling
The whole family
Have I said that I love America? I'm grateful for the freedoms that I enjoy and all those that have sacrificed so much for me to have the life and opportunities that I have. Thank you (That was 4 have's in just 2 sentences - wow)
Go Platts - good thing not a one of you is competitive:)
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, that picture of Annie running is the cutest thing ever. How fun that they have races there! I couldn't race either, I can't even walk without tripping let alone race. ;)
ReplyDeleteGrrr, wish I would have gone this year. Love the races! Everyone's always a winner with "Cracker Jacks"!
ReplyDelete