Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Grandpa Goodman


Goodman Reunion - November 10, 2007 - the day before Grandpa's 92nd birthday

It is funny how we realize our blessings in our sadness or trials. Tonight as I stood in Grandma and Grandpa Goodman's room just after Grandpa passed away, my thoughts were full of happiness and gratitude for the amazing family I was born into. Not many people can say they got to grow up next to all their cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents. I can. And they all are such neat people that I like. I realized that tonight with all the embraces, stories and gentle words of love shared with one another. And Grandpa Goodman was the head of this remarkable Goodman family.

Just look at all those Goodman Grandkids and that's not all of us...

I'm grateful for the life Grandpa Goodman has lived and the example he has been as the patriarch of the Goodman family. Though we're sad and mourning here, I know he's giving his Mom, Dad and all 11 of his siblings huge hugs. It's quite a reunion in heaven right now.

Grandpa has been a good friend and such a support for me in my life. I could always count on him being at every single one of my home volleyball games and even a bunch of distant ones - in high school, college and then as a coach. He traveled to Thatcher, Prescott, New Orleans and Florida to watch me play. He hobbled up those bleachers as I coached at MV. It usually took a few of us to get him to the top, but he was always there. I could always count on him and his support, and sometimes some advice.

We've been lemon buddies. Somehow I got designated the family lemon picker. I've been grateful for the chance to bring my kids to Grandpa and Grandma's to pick lemons, teach them how to work a little, and then in to visit and show off the huge lemons. That visit of course was always followed by one a few days later to bring fresh squeezed lemonade. He sucked the lemonade dry and always had a smile when he was done and asked for more.

I, along with most of my cousins, was lucky enough to be sealed to my honey by Grandpa Goodman in the Mesa Temple. What a blessing to have a grandpa worthy of doing that. (If I could figure out how to fix my scanner, I'd scan the picture of us outside the temple). Thanks for that example of temple service.

Grandpa Goodman was the best toe popper in Mesa. It hurt, but made me laugh all at the same time. Thinking about it, I don't think I'd want nasty toes in my face all the time waiting to be popped, but he was always willing to tug on our toes.

He was the best/worst Chinese Checkers player. He was always a willing competitor, but somehow every game he'd end up shaking or bumping the board and all the marbles would go everywhere. Maybe that was his strategy when he was losing...? Who knows

He loved for us to come visit. I'm grateful that I only lived a mile from him and I was able to take my kids over so often. He'd always smile and try so hard to be alert, even though I know it was torture to stay awake sometimes.

I'm gonna miss you Grandpa, but I know I will see you again. Thanks for the example and the legacy you've left behind.

B. Harry Goodman 11/11/1915-07/27/2011

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Karrie. We are going to miss him so much! It was great seeing you last night, even under the circumstances. We are going to miss you when you move, but Prescott Valley is getting a great family for sure! Hope everything goes well with the the move and the new addition. The Rim to Rim won't be the same without you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it I had forgotten about Chinese checkers and Kelli reminded me of Rook, good memories, we are lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet. Love the tribute, the sweet memories and the man. Very sad for everyone especially Grandma, but man he lived a very full and beautiful life. Who could ask for more?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read everyone's posts about Grandpa. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete