Thursday, November 4, 2010

Humility - Not in our House

Last night we were sitting around the table enjoying some fine dinner and ever so enjoyable entertainment, compliments of our kids. We had, what me and Jeremy thought was a hysterical conversation. It went something like this:
Jeremy: Do you know who has gotten really good on Jake's soccer team?
Karrie: So and so, or so and so? (I'm not mentioning names here)
Jeremy: Oh gosh no, are you on crack!? No, it's so and so.. He's gotten so much better at handling the ball and more deliberate in his shots.
Jake: Like I am?
Jeremy: Yeah, and boy are you humble
Jake: What's that mean?
Jeremy: When you don't think too much of yourself, you're not cocky and you don't think of yourself as better than others...(or something to that effect)
Jake: I don't think I'm better than anyone else, I am humble
Jeremy: Well if you think you're humble, then you're not
Jake: Huh?
more conversation that I forgot... then,
Karrie: Like if I said, that on my volleyball team, I'm the worst player
Jake: You are?
Karrie: Yeah, I'm getting old
Family: Chuckles from all
Jeremy: She's not the worst, but if she said she was the best, then it would sound like she was proud and not humble
Jake: Well Abby's not humble. She thinks she's the best dancer
Abby: Well, it's not me saying I'm the best dancer, it's my teacher who says I'm the best, so I am.
Karrie and Jeremy: Bust out laughing, trying hard to stifle the hysterics, but failing miserably.

I think we have a ways to go on our lessons in humility, and if Jeremy and I can grow up a bit and keep our composure for a while, then maybe we can teach them a thing or two.

2 comments:

  1. you need to teach them the song, "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble when your perfect in every way.."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to have them read President Uchtdorf's conference talk.

    ReplyDelete