Sunday, July 25, 2010

Christopher Creek- The year of new traditions

Every year growing up I looked forward to our annual family vacation - Christopher Creek. Same creek, exact same camp site - never, ever changing. The lot on the corner where we once saw a rattler in camp, we had a wicked fun mudslide after a huge monsoon storm, a never before seen flashflood (I've only seen one since - last year at CC), countless games of gin, hiking, chopping down a tree and almost getting sent to jail for it (atleast that's how I felt as I was getting lectured by the ranger with my little bros), getting to drive up early to the campground with Grandma and Grandpa Taylor - the ultimate campers...

After about a 15 year break, we decided to reignite the old tradition, so in 2005 we returned to CC. This time we had to go the the group site, but it quickly became the new tradition. I look forward to it every year. Always new memories made and fun times to be had. This year was no different. We broke from the last 5 years tradition and went camping in July not Sept. which I very much liked. We got to escape the heat, more people came and the kids got to enjoy the water.

Here are a few of the favorites from this year:

Jake spent most of his time catching crawdads, he even got pinched this year - it's amazing it doesn't happen more.



Annie carried her camping chair around all weekend calling it her baby. I think it was so no one else could sit on it. At one point she had it wrapped in a blanket.


The kids got to play with their cousins they hardly see anymore (Ella and Kimball who are in Snowflake). The girls got to shadow their favorite big cousins Taylor and Kyley who are absolutely perfect in their eyes.








Eating delicious food. Anything cooked with bacon grease has to be flavorful.

Heading to Box Canyon - another break from our normal tradition, and going cliff jumping. The boys were fearless. Definitely a place to return to. (I'm not putting in the picture of me jumping, I'm not a very graceful jumper or ladylike for that matter)







Finding a closer water hole ("the water hole - what's so great about the water hole?" quoted about 50 times every year) with a rope swing. Not very intimidating and therefore so much fun for all the kids.






Laughing as the loudest thunder EVER cracked and sent all the kids scurrying and crying to their parents. I think the lightning hit only a few hundred feet away. And then huddling under our creatively rigged awning trying to keep dry as the rain and hail pounded us and ultimately soaked us (not because of the tarps - they were soundly made, but because the wind was blowing the rain sideways)
It was a great camping trip. And I'm already looking forward to next year when our tent has been waterproofed.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you guys are having a great summer. I was sad that we missed you on our quick trip to Mesa. I am planning on coming back in September so I will plan on seeing you then.

    ReplyDelete