Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Polar Express


For years, people have been bugging me about taking my kids to the Polar Express. Jeremy has also always wanted to go, but I've always resisted. I mean really, it's a lot of money to spend at the poorest time of the year. But Jeremy won out, reasoning that this would be the last year they probably would all believe in the Jolly Ol' Guy. He got tickets back in Aug or Sept so it was set and this weekend was the big event.
I have to admit, as leery as I was about the PE, I got pretty darn excited as it neared. The kids had no idea we were even planning on going. The night before, we busted out the movie The Polar Express and gave them an early Christmas present of slippers, snow gloves and snow boots (the latter two being necessities up here this time of year- we just wrapped them up and made it seem even awesomer that they were getting a huge early gift). We broke the news and they went bananas - all of them, even Jake who I thought would be too old and cool for something like that. In fact, in hindsight, I would have waited til the day of to tell them, because they all were too giddy to sleep that night.

We took off Friday afternoon and made it to Williams in time to get our tickets, check in to the hotel and then to find a hill to sled. My kids have traditionally hated sledding. They get cold and don't have any fun. But this year was different. I guess they are a year older, they were better prepared for the cold and we had awesome disc sleds. They had a great time.

Abby eating snow

Hannah posing with the dog that hung around us - it was awesome, I wanted to take him home and leave Bodgie in his place

Jake with the pink sled - he's so studly he can pull it off

Jake cruisin'

Jeremy and Annie

Jeremy and Hannah - note the look of terror on Hannah's face

Abby - always havin' fun

Then it was on to dinner at Pizza Hut and then the North Pole.
We boarded the train headed for the NP. We got a humongous cookie and then some delicious hot cocoa. We sang songs, wrote on the steamy windows, listened to the reading of the PE and waited to arrive at the North Pole. The kids were disappointed that they didn't get to get off the train, but that all was forgotten when Santa stepped onto our car with a special bell for each kid. It was wonderful. The snow made it all the better. I can't imagine how lame it would have been if we arrived at the North Pole and it was 50 degrees outside and there was no snow. But alas, the weather cooperated and it was incredible and oh, so white.
And to top it off, we got to stay at a hotel that served a hot continental breakfast, my favorite! (the room - not so great, but the food - yummy!)

Our family waiting to board

Our whole group - the Platt fam plus Chris, Karen and Justus


The adorable Platt children

Hannah and Karrie

The kids' slippers - they all love them so much!


Jeremy, Hannah and Jake

Just waiting for Santa

Justus and Jake

Jeremy, Abby and Annie

Jeremy and Annie - precious

The kids with their bells - the bells made the whole trip worthwhile!

We are now so excited for Christmas over here, but it will be a miracle if the Jingle Bell Rock Santa will last that long before it mysteriously disappears.

No comments:

Post a Comment